Amid sexual harrassment allegations, Rep. John Conyers will retire

Dec 5, 2017

Michigan Representative John Conyers told a Michigan Radio station he is stepping down from his seat from Congress. Calling in from a hospital, the longest serving member of Congress made the comments on the Mildred Gaddis’ radio show Tuesday morning.

"I am retiring today and I want everyone to know how much I appreciate the support - incredible undiminished support I've received over the years," he said. 

Recently under fire over claims he sexual harassed former employees, Conyers maintained the accusations against him were false.

"My legacy can't be compromised or diminished in any way by what we're going through now. This too shall pass," he said.

Conyers said he will endorse his son John Conyers III to replace him once his retirement becomes official.

His announcement comes one day former employee Elisa Grubs accused Conyers of groping her in a church. The allegation was revealed in a sworn legal statement released by her lawyer.

Last month Conyers admitted to settling a lawsuit with another former employee who accused him of sexual harassment, however he denies any wrongdoing.

It’s unclear if Conyers meant he will officially retire today or if he had simply made the decision to retire today.