court

A mid-Michigan woman who authorities say embezzled more than $400,000 from her disabled 9-year-old son's estate faces prison after entering a plea to resolve the case. The Lansing State Journal reports 32-year-old Kasie Pruden-Rivera of Eaton County is scheduled for sentencing June 28 after pleading no contest to one count of embezzling more than $100,000.

The plea isn't an admission of guilt, but is treated as such for sentencing. Eaton County Prosecutor Doug Lloyd says based on a lack of previous convictions her sentencing guidelines will likely top out at 20 months.

A southwestern Michigan man who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2013 beating death of his elderly neighbor has been sentenced to 15-20 years in prison. The punishment handed down Monday for 45-year-old Todd Maneke of Kalamazoo followed a plea agreement last month. Alfred Minka was found dead in August 2013 at his Kalamazoo apartment. 

Three of five Michigan teens have been found competent to stand trial in the death of a man killed after a rock thrown from a freeway overpass crashed through a van's windshield. Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton says the evaluations show Kyle Anger, Mark Sekelsky and Trevor Gray were mentally competent at the time of the incident and can understand their charges. Their lawyers requested the exams. Attorneys for Alexzander Miller and Mikadyn Payne did not. 

A dispute over four words will cost an insurance company about $200,000. A federal appeals court has ruled in favor of a man in the Grand Rapids area who suffered serious injuries during a motorbike crash in 2013. Beau Heimer was 22 at the time and had been drinking alcohol before a game of chicken in rural Kent County. 

Judge with gavel
wikimedia

A southwestern Michigan man has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the beating death of his elderly neighbor. Todd Maneke's plea agreement came Wednesday in Kalamazoo County Circuit Court and calls for a prison sentence of 15 to 20 years. 

Alfred Minka was found dead in August 2013 on the floor of his Kalamazoo apartment. Forensics experts testified that the 88-year-old Minka had been hit in the back of the head several times with a hammer or similar object.

Judge with gavel
wikimedia

A woman who reached a plea deal after being accused of making threats outside a western Michigan mosque has been sentenced to three years of probation. Thirty-four-year-old Kari Moss of Ada learned her punishment Tuesday. She earlier pleaded no contest to making a false bomb threat. A stiffer charge of making a false threat of terrorism was dismissed under the agreement. 

A woman who entered a plea agreement in the death of an 85-year-old woman who was found in cold weather outside an assisted living center in western Michigan has received a delayed jail sentence. A Kent County Circuit Court judge on Tuesday sentenced Denise Filcek to six months in jail, but agreed to delay the jail term for an appeal.

A cousin of a man charged in the slaying of a 25-year-old western Michigan gas station clerk is expected to avoid additional jail time for helping him afterward. Kevin Bluhm pleaded no contest Monday to being an accessory after the fact of murder. He's been jailed since September 2016 on the charge. A no contest plea isn't an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing, which is scheduled Jan. 9. 

A 22-year-old bakery employee has pleaded no contest after being accused of putting pieces of a metal cooling rack into bread in western Michigan.  Muskegon County court records show Adam Brooks' plea to placing harmful objects in food came during a pretrial hearing Monday. A poisoning food charge was dropped. 

Brooks was arrested in March after other employees at R.W. Bakers in Norton Shores notified management. Authorities have said none of the bread ended up available for purchase or consumption.

Police say the recent death of a vehicle passenger after teenagers allegedly threw rocks from a Flint area overpass is just one of many cases in the past four decades where people hurl debris from area bridges. Five teenagers have been charged with second-degree murder in connection to throwing rocks off the Interstate 75 overpass that led to 32-year-old Kenneth White's death this month. 

Pages