fire

Police say four people, including two children, have died in a fire at a home in a suburb of Detroit. Michigan State Police say two other people were seriously injured in the fire early Tuesday in Oakland County's Rose Township.

Police say the injured were taken to a hospital for treatment and at least one had severe burns. The cause of the fire wasn't immediately known. Lt. Mike Shaw, a state police spokesman, says in an email that authorities are waiting for the fire to be extinguished before moving ahead with an investigation.

Authorities say more than 30 dogs and cats have died following a fire at a mid-Michigan home that served as an animal rescue. Ingham County Animal Control Director John Dinon tells the Lansing State Journal that the bodies of 16 dogs and 18 cats were recovered from the home following the Tuesday night fire in Onondaga Township, located south of Lansing. 

mlive.com

A firefighter received minor injuries after the ceiling of a burning southwestern Michigan home collapsed. Other Kalamazoo firefighters were on the second floor of the house when the ceiling fell early Wednesday morning.

Debris blocked their exits, forcing the firefighters to climb down ladders outside the house to safety. A sergeant first spotted the fire while on patrol about 1 a.m.

The blaze is under investigation.

A man who pleaded guilty to setting a fire that killed 13 horses in western Michigan has been sentenced to a year in jail and three years at a mental health facility. Payton Mellema learned his punishment Tuesday. He lived near The Barn for Equine Learning in Kent County's Lowell Township, where the horses died in April. The horses were used as therapy for children and young adults with a variety of special needs.

The Michigan Supreme Court is looking at the case of the hot coals. A 10-year-old girl burned her foot on hot coals that couldn't be seen under sand, a day after a Lake Michigan bonfire. The state appeals court said Watervale Inn in Benzie County isn't protected by a law that shields businesses that provide recreation.

Man pleads guilty to fire that killed 13 horses

Sep 22, 2017

A man accused of setting a fire that killed 13 horses has pleaded guilty in western Michigan. Prosecutors say Payton Mellema will spend three years at a mental-health facility under a plea deal reached Thursday in Kent County court. He lived near the Barn for Equine Learning in Lowell Township, where 13 horses died in April. 

The horses were used as therapy for children and young adults with a variety of special needs. Mellema pleaded guilty to arson and animal cruelty charges.

He'll return to court on Oct. 31.

The Grand Rapids Fire Department is hoping to launch an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Program, but they will need the City Commission’s approval first. The Grand Rapids Fire Department first approached the City Commission in January about the possibility of purchasing an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, better known as a drone to assist in 1st response efforts.

Authorities say a 46-year-old man accidentally set himself on fire while trying to exterminate bees in an underground hive in southwestern Michigan. The Cass County sheriff's department says a neighbor was able to put out the fire by the time authorities arrived Wednesday at the injured man's home in the Dowagiac area, about 160 miles (257 kilometers) west of Detroit. 

The man was airlifted to a hospital in Kalamazoo for treatment. Details about his condition weren't immediately released.

The accident is under investigation.

A fire chief who died after he was struck by a vehicle in southwestern Michigan last month is being honored by his fellow chiefs. The Michigan Association of Fire Chiefs named Comstock Township Chief Edward Switalski the Fire Chief of the Year for the state. They say he was being considered for the award before his death. The honor was announced at the association's meeting in Petoskey.

A Michigan man who tried to use fireworks to remove a bees' nest from his garage ended up burning the building down instead. Crews responding to the home in Grand Blanc Township on Monday saw fireworks shooting into the sky from the burning garage. No one was injured.

Grand Blanc Fire Chief Bob Burdette says the homeowner was trying to use a smoke bomb to get a bees' nest out of the garage. Homeowner Mike Tingley says that while he's sad about his garage, he's happy the incident wasn't worse. Tingley says "everyone is safe and that's the main thing."

Pages